Tuesday, January 8, 2008

two of a kind

Laurel was very excited to wear these to school today.


Although I didn't get a shot of her full outfit, I should have. She had the socks peeking over some brown suede boots, and was wearing a khaki skirt, white collared shirt, and a brown with turquoise polka-dotted headband. If it wasn't obvious before, these are her favorite colors in the crayon box.

Thanks to Leslie (for the instructional booklet) and Georgia (for the pretty pink needles), I am attempting my first Magic Loop'd socks. The socks will be for my husband, and they're made with Knit Picks Felici in "Firefighter" on a size 2 circular. I'm not sure if this method is for me; it's possible that I'm one of those types of people that learn a particular way to do something and can't do the same thing in any other way.


The Fiber Trends booklet that Leslie sent really is helpful, and I'm thinking that after this pair, I'll try a toe-up (which would also be a new skill for me) on the circulars.

11 comments:

Wannabe said...

Let me know how you like te Felici...I have some in Pebble in the stash. Love the Firefighter colorway.

And Laurel's socks are ADORABLE! What a fashionista!

Shawna said...

what cute socks! i really like the colorway you're using for your new pair too. as for me, magic loop is method of choice:o) it seems to go much faster for me.

Anonymous said...

The socks are cool! I love the colors and how they go right below the knee. Well done!

When you learn magic loop, teach me. I think I know the basis of it. I have done magic loop when knitting pants, but I have never casted on for magic loop and that part sort of boggles me.

Patti said...

Her socks are absolutely wonderful!!!!

Good luck with the magic loop. Once I got the hang of it, it went quicker than my dpns. Imagine that!

a friend to knit with said...

ok. i can so imagine that outfit. how adorable!!!!
i love those socks so much!

so interesting about the magic loop. i think that is why i never wanted to try it. i am happy doing what i am doing. once i find what works, i stick to it.

love the socks for your husband!

kaetrn said...

no wonder she was excited to wear them- they are rockin socks! she sounds like quite a fashion plate too!

Philigry said...

i love your blog here! i am going to add you to my daily reads! and you have three kiddos too!
i just taught myself how to knit in october, and now i barely put that down long enough to sew...i am hooked.
P.S. i am in love with those knee socks! wow!!

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Those have got to be the cutest socks ever! Then again, I love those colors!!

I love magic loop! But that's the only way I learned to knit socks, so I understand the once-you've-learned it way you tend to stick to that way. Not sure I could do DPNs now that I know this way. Good luck though!

Natalie said...

They are perfect. I want some (I'm not sure if I could pull them off as well as her though- but I would try!).

peaknits said...

I am so glad for you that you were able to get the yarn you needed to finish these wonderful socks - lucky girl! I so need to try that Magic Loop - I have my booklet in hand, just waiting for the courage:)

Hilary said...

Hey! Just fyi, I nominated you for a You Make My Day award -- more on my blog!