Wednesday, July 16, 2008

WIP Wednesday


... only I spent this Wednesday finishing the WIP and marking it FO.

The yarn is sKNITches Syncopation in Mint Mocha Latté, knit on size 2 dpn's, and is a mish-mash of sock patterns. The heel flap, with its garter stitch border, and the toe are from Knitting Sensational Socks by Charlene Schurch. The body of the sock is an Ann Norling pattern, Adult Basic Socks #12. Only recently did I start using the Knitting Sensational Socks toe, and I have to say, I need to investigate other patterns. I really dislike how few stitches are left to kitchener. Any suggestions?

Since a few of you have shared your summer book selections, I'm revealing a small part of the stack I have yet to read. Through the Children's Gate by Adam Gopnik, known for his book Paris to the Moon; The Mother-Daughter Book Club by Heather Vogel Frederick, which Laurel and I take turns reading aloud; A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith, seems suitable for the current times; and The Way the Crow Flies by Ann-Marie MacDonald, which has just been languishing on the bookshelf for years...

14 comments:

Philigry said...

love the socks, an summer reading sounds so nice.

peaknits said...

Oooh, love the socks! I love the kitchener...what about leaving a few more to have a more squared off toe? Or if you just have a handful, run your yarn through them all and tighten it? Your summer reading looks great - I am aways looking for recommendations - so keep us posted:)
Stacey

Anonymous said...

the way the crow flies is excellent...a tree grows in brooklyn...excellent...your socks...excellent

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Thank you so much for the suggestions about the aran afghan, I will be checking them out!!! Darling socks too!

Jane said...

I need to check some of these books out. My choices have not been good as of late! Love the socks!

a friend to knit with said...

can't wait to hear a review. i have a book on order at the library, but it has yet to come in. and for some reason that is the only one i want to read. may have something to do with the fact that i only read two books a year. gotta change that!
love love love those socks!!! so you think that because there are too few stitches to kitchner that resulted in a pointier toe?? i think they look fantastic.

Wannabe said...

Super cute.

What I do is just knit to where I have about 20-24 sts to kitchener. I really don't like when the pattern states to kitchener like 8 sts together...who HAS pointy toes. I really like the toe from the Charade sock pattern and usually do that. It makes for a more wide boxy toe and fits me just right. I rarely follow the pattern directions for the heel or toes anymore and just do what fits me. :)

Lynette said...

i love your socks. i have that yarn and can't wait to knit them for SOS08. i recently knit a star-toe from Nancy Bush Knitting Vintage Socks, and it was a nice change. you may want to check out her other toe finishes as well.

sheepish one said...

lynette: i think the star toe was part of the embossed leaves pattern in favorite socks... i remember being in awe as i worked that toe. thanks for bringing it to mind.

Lolly said...

These are SO wonderful! I love the stripes! I have been reading like a fiend this summer... a few summers back, I really enjoyed A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

Anonymous said...

Those are very cute socks, certain to become a favorite I'm sure. Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Cookie A's toe from the Monkey Sock is a wonderfully square toe. Fourteen stitches on each needle before closing. Your socks are beautiful

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Those socks are absolutely perfect!! Hard to choose between those or Seriously! as my favorites!!

Hilary said...

Mmmmm...mint mocha latte. Those look great!