Wednesday, January 21, 2009

a loaf a week

Remember last week, when I was sitting here considering which bread recipe to use? And remember how I then decided upon the "Homestyle White Bread with Poppy Seeds" from The Bread Bible? Well it was a good one. So good I made it again today. Because the kids and I had eaten it all. (The husband, who has food allergies, got his own loaf.)

kneaded

exuberantly baking
i cut these excesses off during the first few minutes of baking.

fresh

As you can see, there are no poppy seeds. Not because I don't like seeded bread, because I really do, but because this loaf is our standard jack-of-all-trades bread. It has to be versatile: the canvas for a good ol' pb&j, the warm and thick toast of cinnamon toast, the body for a great chicken salad sandwich...

There is a serious possibility that I may make "Fresh Lemon Muffins", also from The Bread Bible, later in the week... They're even glazed.

7 comments:

peaknits said...

What gorgeous bread - yum!

Anonymous said...

Bread looks yum! Now hurry up with those lemon muffins!

Hilary said...

Mmmm...I bet the stuff is amazing just out of the oven. I have *got* to try my hand at bread-making. You have inspired me!

Anonymous said...

Looks very yummy.

Philigry said...

that looks so good! i want some right now.
I hope you make that lemony one too. Lemon is my favorite flavor (besides chocolate!)
I may have to get that book!

a friend to knit with said...

i'm pretty sure i NEED that book.

Anonymous said...

OMGosh does that ever look yummy!